Thursday 6 November 2008

Tricked out ponies and re-claiming plastic for art.




Wow... this is cool. Apparently there's a subculture of artists, or craftspeople, who customise exsisting My Little Ponies. I don't need one of these - about the only things I really have to keep around me are books otherwise I prefer a pretty bare space - but I'm so impressed with these.
The reason I dig these is that I hated My Little Ponies when I was a kid. I had no idea what you were supposed to do with such a rigid, plastic little thing. Surely not simply brush their mane and imagine galloping scenarios? I know millions of girls loved them, but had no interest in them at all. But customising... now that's something I can get behind! Apparently these folks buy old ponies, design and repaint them, re-thread their mane and otherwise trick them out beyond recognition. They use them as a base for their own creative expression, and subvert the general commercial prinicpals of the collectable pony by rendering them completely useless to collectors by covering them in paint. A lot of these artists sell their work too.
This is about the only thing I can imagine doign with a My Little Pony which would make them fun.

No comments: